Job title: Director of Finance & Resources
Accountable to: Chief Executive Officer of AAT and the Finance Committee
Purpose: Providing strategic leadership and professional management of the financial, ICT, estates, procurement, and administration services function of AAT as an active and visible member of the AAT Executive team.
Responsible for: The post holder will be responsible for all financial matters within AAT and its six schools including budget setting and monitoring, preparation of monthly management accounts, line management of schools business managers, preparation of annual accounts, liaison with internal and external auditors, compliance with Academies Financial Handbook and ESFA requirements.
Salary: £65k – £75k negotiable
Location: Candidate will normally be based at Glenleigh Park Primary Academy in Bexhill. He or she will be expected to attend a weekly executive team meeting in Bexhill (term time only). Candidate will be expected to travel to all six schools in Bexhill, Eastbourne, Brighton and Crawley at least once per month (term time only).
Hours: Full time (37 hours per week, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays). There will be a need to work a flexible pattern to meet the demands of the role.
Disclosure: Enhanced DBS
As a member of the AAT Executive team, the post holder will:
- Contribute to the strategic direction of AAT;
- Ensure AAT makes the best possible use of resources through effective planning, considering all financial and other resource implications;
- Prepare AAT’s annual and medium term financial plans, in consultation with the CEO and school SLTs, taking into account performance improvement objectives, future funding projections, and other potential events and activities;
- Understand and advise the CEO, SLTs and Board on the implications of government policies, local authority policies, trends and developments relating to academy finances;
- Ensure that the impact of astute financial strategy and management directly impacts on educational outcomes for AAT students;
- Participate and represent AAT in national and local networks of Bursars/Finance Directors and managers, so that AAT is alert to new trends and is familiar with current best practice;
- Establish a high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with internal and external parties, including AAT staff;
- Constantly monitor and evaluate progress against stated objectives and targets in AAT’s plans, initiating and taking any additional action as may be agreed to be necessary;
The post holder will:
- Prepare and submit statutory financial statements and annual returns;
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely financial reports, estimates and financial/annual returns as required by funding bodies, government departments and Companies House;
- Prepare an annual budget within a five year financial plan for approval by the Board;
- Prepare monthly management accounts, forecasts and other financial and non-financial reports for AAT and its schools, presenting reports to the Board and explaining all significant variances to all relevant stakeholders, in accordance with agreed timetables;
- Provide support, guidance, challenge and information to budget holders;
- Plan and monitor the cash flow of AAT, implement creditor and debtor policies and procedures, and oversee the treasury management of working cash balances, short-term investments and borrowings;
- Ensure that the financial and management accounting systems for AAT are up-to-date and support all accounting and reporting needs;
- Maintain appropriate financial regulations and work with budget holders to ensure compliance;
- Maintain systems and procedures that ensure financial transactions are recorded and reported accurately, and the effective operation of all financial controls;
- Liaise with the payroll provider to maintain an effective payroll system and ensure compliance with all relevant legislation;
- Prepare reports and returns as requested/required on payroll payments made including PAYE, expense payments, National Insurance, pensions and any other relevant payments;
- Submit all government returns relating to all aspects of payroll accurately and on time;
- Deal with all personnel matters relating to salary, pension and HMRC queries;
- Advise the CEO and Board on external and internal audit arrangements as required by financial regulations and funding bodies;
- Liaise with auditors and facilitate all audit arrangements;
- Implement audit requirements as they affect all financial activities;
- Research and complete funding bids to external bodies including Government departments to maximise the resources for AAT. Ensure that any funds received from successful bids are spent appropriately and within timescales;
- Maximise revenues from sales and purchases, sponsorship, fundraising, lettings and business activities, without compromising the educational activities and learning environment for students;
- Make arrangements appropriate insurance cover for AAT and Board members;
- Liaise with brokers/insurance companies regarding claims, dealing with all correspondence and communications.
- Ensure that tax obligations are discharged correctly and effectively;
- Prepare and maintain the AAT risks register;
- Maintain and ensure regular review of AAT’s data protection, personnel, fire safety and health & safety policies, and ensure that all required procedures, including Equalities Act requirements are in place and observed;
- Report on all financial and compliance matters to the CEO, SLTs and Board as required.
In conjunction with the SLTs and ICT support provider:
- Maintain and deliver a rolling five year ICT strategy which aligns with the educational and development plans of AAT;
- Ensure the development and maintenance of appropriate ICT infrastructure and systems to support the objectives and aims of AAT.
In conjunction with the CEO, Business Managers and HR/payroll provider:
- Oversee an accurate and robust payroll system;
- Prepare annual costed staffing plans for approval by the SLTs and Board;
- Develop, maintain and implement human resource management policies;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant employment law;
- Maintain confidential staff records;
- Liaise and consult with union and staff representatives as and when the need arises.
In conjunction with the Business Managers and premises teams:
- Develop and maintain an asset management plan and site master plans, ensuring that accurate data are maintained, and that projects and priorities support the educational plans and requirements of AAT;
- Develop and implement strategies for premises management to ensure that the quality of the AAT estate and the learning environment for students is sustainable, maintained and improved;
- Develop and deliver long term maintenance plans and effective reactive maintenance services;
- Ensure regular testing and maintain all records as required for buildings, materials, hazardous substances, water, appliances, services etc;
- Ensure the security of all school sites and all physical assets;
- Maintain high quality services for cleaning, catering and grounds maintenance;
- Develop and deliver building improvement projects, taking part in on-site surveys, liaising with architects and drawing up proposals as required;
- Ensure the value for money of all estates expenditure;
- Ensure effective tendering and management of contracts for work done by external contractors;
- Be the designated lead member of AAT Executive team for Health & Safety;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation.
In conjunction with the Business Managers, and other direct reports in their areas of responsibility:
- Prepare and implement policies concerning the procurement and ordering of all AAT supplies and services to ensure best value for money;
- Monitor the operation of policies concerning procurement and ordering and prepare such reports as may be required;
- Monitor the operation of contracts entered into for the supply of services to AAT.
- Provide leadership, motivation, support and performance management for all direct reports;
- Ensure that direct reports are appropriately trained and developed, developing the management skills of middle leaders to ensure consistency of performance management;
- Ensure that high standards of professional behaviour and performance are achieved, using systems of external accreditation and evaluation wherever possible;
- Contribute actively to the development of quality improvement programmes across AAT.
- Undertaking such other duties as reasonably correspond to the general character of the post and commensurate with being a member of MAT leadership team.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from the CEO and Board to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
Aurora Academies Trust
Closing date: 3rd September 2018.
Selection day: Week commencing 10th September 2018